Tuesday, May 17, 2011

How do I love thee?

Well, I tend to finish my list of things to do each day by about noon, even with sleeping in. While there are still things I could do that would probably be a good idea, like working out, I find myself flipping through tabs in my browser looking at people's blogs, or making plans for projects in the future. I decided today while I was sitting trying to come up with things to do, that I would write down some thoughts I have had recently. I guess you could say this post is mostly for me, so that I can look back at it and remember thoughts I had, but I hope you get something out of it as well.
A few weeks ago in Relief Society, the teacher played one of the Mormon message's. The one she played was given by Elder Holland, and it was all about hope. While I absolutely loved the short video clip, this message is not what my post is about. After that relief society meeting I decided to look up the Mormon message's, which can be found here. I was so glad I did this. I have not looked at all of them, mostly I was just looking for those about hope, love, and peace. In my browsing, I came across another one by Elder Holland entitled "How Do I Love Thee?" 
While listening to this clip I came to a new realization. The Savior and Heavenly Father NEVER think bad of us. They always give us the benefit of the doubt and assume the good. This realization brings two other thoughts to mind. 1) Knowing this helps me to realize how sad they must get when we do not live up to the potential they see, and when we disappoint them by choosing to sin. 2) If we are to become like our Heavenly Father we must also ALWAYS think the best of people. We are commanded to love as Heavenly Father loves, and to do that we must give everyone the benefit of the doubt. We must see the good in them, and forget the bad. 
Now even though I have come to this realization I still do not know how this goal can be accomplished. I can try my best, but I already know now that I am going to fail sometimes, and not be as loving as I should, but that is where the atonement comes in to play. I can keep learning and growing, making mistakes, repenting and truly desiring to have a greater love for everyone around me the stranger, foe, and friend alike. I think life would be much better and happier if we all truly loved everyone around us. So this is my new goal for myself. To develop the kind of love Heavenly Father has for us. To love LIKE the Savior and our Father in Heaven love us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really a cool thought and wonderful for all of us to learn in our life time.

Gina Sims said...

Andrea,
Thanks for sharing that. What a great message!