Monday, October 1, 2012

2 Months with the blues

Well Phoebe is 2 months old now and she had quite the 2 month birthday. It started with shots and ended in the hospital. First I will say, these two things are most likely un-related, it's probably just an unfortunate coincidence they happened on the same day. So here is the story. Thursday started like any other day. I fed Phoebe, got her changed, played on the floor a little and then headed to the doctors for her 2-month checkup. Side note: about two weeks ago I took Phoebe to the doctor because I suspected she had reflux and by the symptoms I described her doctor agreed with me and we began a medicine to try and help her be more comfortable. So at her 2-month appointment we talked about whether or not this specific medication was working or if we wanted to try a different one. Because Phoebe has seemed a little more content we decided that she seemed to be getting better so we could probably just stick with this medicine. So then she got her shots which as you can imagine she didn't like, poor thing. After the appointment she fell fast asleep in the car on the way home, so I ran to a craft boutique that was going on in our neighborhood and then picked up some lunch then we went to our weekly breastfeeding group (a support group put on by the hospital for breastfeeding moms, the best part is that I know each week what Phoebe weighs and how much she gained from last week). Anyways after the group we headed home, Phoebe again fell fast asleep in the car. When we were almost home I realized I forgot my phone at the hospital so I headed back. When Phoebe and I finally got home I knew she was probably going to be hungry so I rushed inside set her carseat down and proceeded to get ready to feed her. I should probably mention that on the way home Phoebe coughed several times in her carseat which is somewhat unusual since she rarely coughs but each time I checked on her she was fast asleep. While I was in the bathroom she started getting fussy and then cried out, a cry I hadn't really heard before. When I came out of the bathroom and looked at her she was blue. I panicked, picked her up put her over my shoulder and started rubbing and patting her back, she turned from blue to pale and began looking around. I called my mom and asked her what I should do and then called the doctors. They said I should probably take her to the Emergency Room to make sure everything was okay and suggested I either call 911 or have a friend come get me since I wasn't to keen on driving there myself with Phoebe in the back. As you can imagine I was pretty much bawling through this whole time, I called several people to try an get a ride and finally one of my friends said she could come over and take us. I called Brandon and through tears and a screaming baby all he could understand was that something happened and I was taking Phoebe to the ER. Because we didn't have an explanation for why Phoebe turned blue they decided she should be monitored over night as well as have a carseat study done, basically they monitored her for a couple of hours while she sat in her carseat.. Her and I got a free ambulance ride from the ER to the children's hospital in Boise. After 24 hrs of monitoring and nothing else happening we decided she probably got some spit up in her throat and wasn't able to completely clear it so her lungs closed off, which is a reflex we all have to keep things out of our lungs, and were released from the hospital. That is our best guess as of now and since the hospital she has been her normal happy self, so that is good. She is probably going to start a different medication to try to help with the reflux but other than that all seems to be good.

So the past month ended with a bang. Here are her 2 month stats:
Height: 22 7/8 in, 75th percentile
Weight: 10 lbs 4 oz, 25th percentile
Head: 36 1/2 cm, 10th percentile

She is a tall and skinny little girl and she's got a cute little head.

At 2 months Phoebe's likes to sit up (with our help of course), she gives us lots of smiles and is starting to talk to us more and more. She is getting better at tummy time and has really good head control. We love her and are so glad that she is safe and healthy. This little episode reminded us that life is precious and we should enjoy every moment we have. Here are some pictures of the last month.
Playing a little Wii with Daddy 
Dancing with Daddy
Hanging out in the bumbo (on the floor of course), thanks to our friends the Galloways for letting us borrow theirs
Completely out on Daddy's arm
Hanging out with Grandpa at Great Grandma Shaw's viewing
Not too happy, but here she is with Great Grandpa Shaw
This was by far her worst blow-out, we deal with these or at least I deal with them all the time.



Flying with Daddy


2  Months old!


4 comments:

From A.Lemon To Lemonade said...

So glad she is ok. I love her sitting in the throne.

ditndetes said...

Holy cow, that is scary. I wished we lived closer so I could have helped you. She is TOOOOOOO cute!

Nicole & Ammon said...

I'm so glad she is okay! That is scary! Don't you just love the blow outs!? Especially when you are out and about...

Gina Sims said...

How scary Andrea! I am so glad that she is okay! What a doll!